Friday, December 5, 2008

Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d’Or at last!

Early this morning, Cristiano Ronaldo was crowned Golden Ball winner for the 2007/08 season.
The Portugal and Manchester United Superstar winger earned 77 of the 96 votes - around 80% of the total votes, beatting Lionel Messi of Argentina and Liverpool’s Fernando Torres to claim the price.

Cristiano Ronaldo broke the records, amassing 446 points, two more than his predecessor Kaka.
Second placed Messi had 281 points, while Torres got 179 points. Casillas, Xavi Hernandez, Arshavin, Villa, Kaka, Ibrahimovic, and Steven Gerrard took the remaining 7 places, sharing amongst them in the same other 438 points.

The 23 year old had an impressive and unique season – scoring over 40 goals for Manchester United and helping the team win both the Champions League and the EPL. This is what Ronaldo had to say to France Football:

“To win this award at just 23 years of age is incredible, because I only started my career a few years ago,” he told the magazine.

“But it is fantastic as there were a lot of other big names in the race this year such as [Lionel] Messi, [Fernando] Torres and even Xavi.

“All these players could have won it but nevertheless, I’m happy to have taken it.”

Ronaldo also went on to congratulate his team-mates.

He said: “I have to thank all my team-mates who helped me become the best.
“I was never afraid of whether or not I would win it because I was always conscious of the great year I had last season.

“This is one of the happiest days of my life. Those who know me or who have lived with me know that this is a dream come true for me.

“But tomorrow morning in training, I will still be the same person as always.”

Cristiano Ronaldo is only the 3rd Portuguese to win the Ballon d’Or after Eusebio and Luis Figo. He is also the fourth Red Devil player to win the French award after Denis Law (1964), Sir Bobby Charlton (1966) and George Best (1968).
Cristiano Ronaldo, who last year finished second in the running, is the second consecutive Manchester United number 7 to win the Golden Ball. Coincidently, Ronaldo marks the 40th anniversary of George Best’s triumph.

Does this have anything to do with the mesmerising power of the number 7 jersey?

Now there’s another price, the Fifa Player of the Year award, which Ronaldo eyes. This award has never been won by a Premiership player, but Ronaldo could make history by being the first to receive it.

Written by: Angela Asante

No comments: